Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Slammed, by Colleen Hoover

THE BLURB: Falling in love can feel like poetry. Or it can feel like a slam to the heart.

Colleen Hoover’s romantic, emotion-packed debut novel unforgettably captures all the magic and confusion of first love, as two young people forge an unlikely bond before discovering that fate has other plans for them.

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken becomes the rock for both her mother and younger brother. She appears resilient and tenacious, but inside, she's losing hope. Then she meets her new neighbor Will, a handsome twenty-one-year-old whose mere presence leaves her flustered and whose passion for poetry slams thrills her.

Not long after a heart-stopping first date during which each recognizes something profound and familiar in the other, they are slammed to the core when a shocking discovery brings their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart. Only through the poetry they share are they able to speak the truth that is in their hearts and imagine a future where love is cause for celebration, not regret.

My thoughts at 25%:
How is it that I'm only at the 25% mark and I've already fallen in love AND had my heart broken? I love Lake and Will, I already love Kel and Caulder, and I like Eddie too. Bold and brazen, that one, but I'm curious about the heart tattoos ...

My thoughts at 50%:
I can't put this book down. It's past midnight and I have to be up at five. My eyes are so tired I can't see and everything is a blur. But I can't put this book down.

My thoughts at 75%:
"So you keep your ocean, I'll take the Lake." I don't know if I'm delirious from exhaustion (it's 1:45am) or if Colleen Hoover some kind of witch doctor ... But I can't stop crying. The mom and the balloons and the slam ... It's just ... I can't. I just can't.

My thoughts at 100%:
It's 2:30 in the morning and I have to get up at five. I have no idea how I'm going to function tomorrow, when I'm supposed to be editing my 8th book for the final time before publication on Tuesday. I have no idea how I'm going to be productive and be a calm and patient mother when I'll be running on less three hours of sleep. And I have no idea how long it's going to take me to recover from this book ... But I bet it's gonna be a while. Five stars. If I could, I'd give it fifty.

Buy this book. Believe me, you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment